Sunday, December 2, 2012

Crazy Groupon Lady

Yes, that's me. Crazy Groupon Lady. If there were a TLC show about people obcessed with Groupon I would be the star.

If you don't get the daily emails or have the app, sign up right now! No, I don't work for them or even care to promote them I just love the concept and thought I'd share my experiences.  It's a gift giving time a year so why not take a peek, you might find something someone on your gift list would love.

So how does it work? It's so easy... every day an email arrives in your inbox (around noon) with daily deals in the these categories; nearby, featured, goods, Grouponicus and getaways. They pride themselves on showcasing deals on the best things to do, see and eat in a specific city. When you sign up they ask for your geographical location so the daily deals are tailored to where you live. I usually scroll through 'nearby' and 'featured' sections. I find the 'goods' section to be a bunch of junk like cubic zerconia jewelry, custom bobble-heads and pre packaged weight management frozen meals. I stay away from 'getaways' section because I am very nervous about booking a trip through a discount website, seems too good to be true and I actually have no idea what the 'Grouponicus' section is - my guess is more junk.

Groupons do expire but you never lose the money you paid for it, you can always go to the business and use the Groupon as cash and not get the deal.


What I love the most about Groupon is it gives small business a boost. What's better for a business then a new customer coming in, loving the product, returning and spreading the good word?!
I have found some great places from Groupon and a few duds... check them out!

Wins...
(8) massages and facials - best deals around! These are expensive without a deal but I have had a few really great massages for under $50 from Groupon, without the deal that would get you a 20 minute so-so massage. These are also amazing gifts to give.

(9) Shutterfly photo books - the runner up!  I have made 9 photo books for myself and my family. My grandparents love them! I documented my house renovations and lots of pictures of Jake and I. I love flipping through them - it's much nicer to have a hard copy then to flip through your phones camera roll.


(6) FTD and Proflowers - I send flowers to my Grandma and my great aunt all the time ... Why not get $30 worth of flowers for only $15? Yes please!

Merry Maids - This was to die for, for $70 I had every room of my house cleaned. Really cleaned, not just a quick dust job, they made the bed. I wish they did more of these deals.

(4) magazine subscriptions - I love a good magazine so why not get them for $5 a year?

Cardboard castle - Sounds crazy but for $25 I knew a little lady who just had to get this for her birthday. Plus we had a blast putting it together and decorating it.




Photo session with prints from Kmart - another great gift for my friends daughters to get some Spring pics taken.

Ties.com - $15 for $50 worth of ties, this was a no brainer. Just look at who I am going to marry.



Beer Nutz - Near Jake's house, yummy bar food.

Yarns by Design - I got my mom a bunch of knitting tools and yarn for about half the price.

Bagel Factory - We love to get breakfast here, half off!

Square Cafe - Also a great breakfast spot, 2 meals for $10!

Szmidt's Deli - $20 for a 5 sandwich punch card. I can walk here from my house and they have huge delicious sandwiches, perogies and grilled cheese. Their sandwiches are anywhere from $5-$8 so this is a great deal. My mom also bought one so we are currently working on 10 sandwiches.

(2) Pita Pit - Right by my office, I am actually sick of this place but at the time the Groupons saved me a few bucks.

(2) laser hair removal - So, these were amazing. I only bought these because I had a ton on Groupon credits from a refund. I had 3 sessions at one place and 6 sessions at another place. Both waaaaaay less then if I had called and made an appointment without the Groupon.

(5) Kayak Pittsburgh - This was a blast, my friends and I kayaked on the 3 Rivers a  bunch of time with these deals.


Three 12x18 canvas photo frames from Fabness - Pretty much in love with these, I got 3 frames for $69. The original price would have been over $200. I have been looking at these for a few years but it's not really something you want to buy and use your iPhone photos for. Good professions photos are a must. These guys are patiently awaiting new house walls to be hung on.


Perogies  Plus - Heaven, cheesy potato heaven. Kind of a haul to Mckees Rocks but a dozen homemaide perogies for $10 was a steal.

Fails...
Jiffy Lube oil change - still need to use this one, the deal is over but my paid value is still valid. SO I didn't lose money by not using it.

Bead making class - What was I thinking? I bought 2, my mom and I never got around to this.

(2) Bed sheets - Ughhh, sandpaper sheets, queen size did not fit our queen bed.  That should be a standard size, you would think!

(2) Hot air balloon ride - This is only a part fail. I bought deal for what I thought was a hot air balloon rides for two people. No, it was for one person. I now read the fine print a bit closer! I ended up having to buy another one because it was going to be a gift for my parents. By the way who would do this alone!? My parents ended up not being able to use it so Jake and I took the 4 hour drive to Lancaster PA. That's right, Amish country. The balloon ride ended up being cancelled due to weather but we spent the weekend in a nice bead & breakfast, ate at a restaurant featured on MAN VS. FOOD (Plain & Fancy Farm), and hung with the Amish. So it was really a win.

In the end I called Groupon to complain about USA Hot Air Balloons and they ends up refunding me the entire cost, hence the laser hair removal Groupons.


Bowling at Forward Lanes - Would have been a win but I never used it.

MumPower Massage - Good Lord! Learned my lesson here, ALWAYS research the salon or 'spa' before purchasing the Groupon. I was greated at the 'spa' door by an old woman and her labradoodle then lead to the dining room for my massage. I was practically on the dining room table. An ok massage but let's be serious - I am not into getting massages anywhere other than a legit spa.

$50 to the Gap - The Gap stinks.  I could barely find anything I wanted to buy, regardless of cost.

Like I said before, it's totally worth signing up for the daily emails.  I may have had a few dud Groupons, but you will get that with anything. I learned along the way and have had a ton of fun with most of them. I won't be stopping anytime soon, I'm actually going to buy my Gram flowers right now with a Groupon!


1 comment:

  1. you are so wild. I knew you bought a lot...but I had NO IDEA. You should really have some sort of loyalty card....

    ReplyDelete