Monday, December 10, 2012

Hello-Goodbye

Hello-Goodbye, a Beatles song title that reminds me of the relationship I have with my house.
I bought a house and one minute later (well, 1 year and 5 months) I'm selling it!
That's right, it's on the market!

We are currently splitting time between our homes and to be honest, I hate it. Jake bought a townhouse before I met him, during April before I bought my house. At the time he moved we were dating but he had agreed to buy it several months before we met.  Definitely not ready to make decisions about living together then. As time went on we knew the day would come where one house would have to go and we would both live in the other house.

I knew it would be easier to sell my house and that there was more room for us in his, but I hated the thought of giving up the place where I spent so much time renovating. My dad custom made my entire kitchen, my mom and I spent endless hours together painting, staining and decorating, there are a lot of memories! I mean Jake and I got engaged on the front porch! How could I sell it less than two years later!?

Well, it's time and i'm itching for a new house project.

Move in Ready is not something I know much about... check it out...
wallpaper stinks

rockie loved being covered in paint

hour after hour they were on the job

small bathroom, big pain
no joke, the kitchen was gutted
sander that made my body shake for a week

before

after

It took me a few months to wrap my mind around the idea of calling a real estate agent. I considered renting but decided against it - I cannot bare the idea of having a messy hoarder living in my house! Plus the time Jake and I have together would be more fun spent in our new home rather than fixing a broken AC unit at a rental.

I had a breakdown about a week ago because I was over it.  It might sound fun to own two homes (if you are Oprah) but paying bills, cleaning and keeping up with daily chores for two houses is just too much. I felt like I was packing a bag every-other day and only living in my house 3-4 days a week. We had to put an end to the madness, we need one place to live - one place to call home.

I called an agent on a Monday and 5 days later my house was listed online and I had an open house. It was a bit stressful getting all the paperwork in order and getting the house ready to sell in just 5 days but I'm glad it did not linger and we got it posted sooner than later.

Jake's friend is interested in buying his house so getting rid of mine first will make it easier when he sells his... and the most exciting part, we have been looking for our new place!

The logistics of this are daunting to think about - how will the timing line up, will my house be on the market forever, will we be homeless at any point? Homeless, dramatic I know but a thought that crossed my mind.  I have no idea how this will work and can only plan so far in advance - something I am not exactly comfortable (I admit, I am a control freak) but Jake has been very calm about the entire situation and has tried to keep me grounded. Ultimately we know everything will work out.

There are thousands of people in this country out of work or legitimacy homeless I feel so blessed to be in this position. We definitely don't take any part of this adventure for granted. It's a great 'problem' to have and I would not want to trek though this with anyone other than Jake.

Cross your fingers my little gem in the city sells quickly!



No comments:

Post a Comment